When AccuQuilt released the setting triangle dies, I immediately wanted them, at least for the twelve inch block size as that’s mainly what I make. But the more I looked at the die layout, the more I decided against purchasing one, because I thought it would waste so much fabric.
Had they laid out two of the side blocks side by side, it would have been fabric efficient.
Fast forward a year or two, and during their Christmas sale and a sleepless night, I ordered the twelve inch die. The die is on sale right now, and shipping was also free.
I immediately remembered why I had decided against it originally, and cancelled my order. Within three minutes! Meanwhile, Accuquilt processed my order and had it at my door before they’ve ever even read my cancellation request. They still haven’t responded to it.
I’m not going to pay return shipping on it, it’s a huge board, so this morning I took some measurements and figure out a very efficient way to use it.
Setting triangles must, absolutely must, be cut correctly in regards to grain. Otherwise, the outer edges might be on the bias, and you will have a stretchy mess on your hands.
For the twelve inch die, if you cut a nineteen inch square, and fold it in quarters, it will cover the side blocks with just a smidge to spare, leaving virtually no waste.
For the four corner setting triangles, you will cut a ten inch square and fold it in half.
I recommend pressing the folds before cutting the fabric on the die. Since the square sizes I used allows just enough to cover the die blades, pressing the folds with allow you to make sure you have the blades covered.
If you can’t be that accurate, cut them an extra inch, twenty for the sides and eleven for the four corners.
By cutting squares and folding them as I’ve suggested, your bias will be where it needs to be.
Here are some of my setting triangles cut with the die. I’ll report back what I think after I’ve sewn them. To be honest, I always cut my setting triangles for on point quilts much larger than needed, so I can square it all up, and I waste a lot of fabric doing so.
I think this may also be the first on point quilt I’ve ever made without sashing!