1 2 3 Mulberry Street Pattern
After all the crazy work in the En Fourreau Dress, I wanted something easy to sew. It doesn’t get much easier than this dress, there’s only the bodice and lining to cut and the skirts are straight.
The first one I more or less followed the pattern. The bow is supposed to be in the back, but I experimented with plastic snaps and it didn’t look right with them there.
I cut a half yard each of these fabrics, and had enough left over to make the dress again, so I decided to use my Bernina #64 hemmer foot instead of doing all that fussy quarter inch folding, and the ruffler foot instead of doing gathers.
Not being a garment sewer, the #2 foot is not one I use, and it comes with all Bernina machines. Today I decided to give it whirl, since my serger is in for servicing, and I do believe I like it better than using the serger for doll seams.
Here I’ve used it to sew and finish the edges at the same time, of the two skirt layers before running them through the ruffler foot.
And here you can see the seams I’ve finished with it in the bodice. I’ve also discovered that pinking curved seams instead of clipping them works fantastically!
I left the second dress mostly plain, but I’d like to play around with this pattern more, or perhaps start experimenting on my own and creating my own patterns, as the construction methods are starting to sink in.
I like everything about this second dress better. The skirt is fuller, (albeit upside down!) as the original is 22 inches, and I cut this one at 40 inches, ruffled it, then cut off the excess so it fit the bodice.