I sucked it up today and finally finished piecing and assembling all the half-square triangles for the border on my mom’s quilt.
I ran it over to her house for final approval and talked her into just a three inch border instead of taking it all the way to the floor. Not only would that much border just look bad, the corners would drag about a foot.
I figure by the time I quilt it and wash it, with the three inch border, it will shrink back up to just about the size it is pictured on the bed without the final border.
After lunch, I cut, assembled, and attached the final border. Whew! I am so glad to be finished piecing this quilt! Because I didn’t have a concrete plan when I made this, I bought four layer cakes, and picked the prettiest fabrics out. I have a lot left over, mostly the ugly fabrics… there are always ugly fabrics in a collection.
I have a small sewing room, so I’ve found that the best solution for measuring and cutting quilt borders is to do them on my longarm. I have a cover for the table that has measurements on it, and Jim cut a rotary mat to fit perfectly between my rails.
Since my quilt retreat is just a few weeks away and I still don’t have a project planned, I think I may whack the rest of the ten inch layer cake squares into Ohio Star blocks, and make another scrappy quilt with the leftover fabrics.
I think I can make myself finish it, as Ohio Star blocks are super fast and easy, so I won’t have to stare at fabrics I don’t like too long.
I scavenged a wide backing I found buried in my stash that goes well enough, so I won’t have to piece a backing for my mom’s quilt. I have to clean the wheels and tracks on the longarm first as it’s been sitting for quite some time, but maybe next week it will be quilted. That’s my goal!