And we have a winner!
I’m pleased with the results of this third dress, and I don’t think I’d change anything I did this time.
This was sewn on Kona Cotton and stitched entirely with Isacord polyester thread, for the embroidery, the pin tucks, and the construction and top stitching.
I used 2 layers of Vilene stablizer for the skirt. For the bodice I used medium weight tearaway stabilizer, and this worked very well. In the picture above, the dress is standing on its own. I’m sure it would be much softer in batiste or handkerchief weight linen, but I rather like it as is.
Sue left a comment on my post yesterday about a Marathon tearaway stabilizer that is also water soluble! It just doesn’t get any better than that, but I tend to buy things in bulk for the costs savings, and ordered a bulk roll from Allstitch in their house brand, which is mostly what I use for all of my stabilizers. Sounds like my dream stabilizer!
Three KAMsnaps in clear were inserted at the back bodice, 1/4 inch from the bodice edge, 1/4 inch from the top, 1/2 inch from the bottom to avoid the seam allowance, and at the 1-1/8 inch mark between the center of those top and bottom snap.
I quite like the clear snaps best, and the size 16 works perfectly for me. I use a dental pick to carefully poke holes in my markings before putting the snap in.
It may look like I’ve poked a huge hole there, but it’s barely big enough for the pointed tip of the snap to fit through. I still have to forcefully push the fabric down around the snap tip.
When I get ready to install the snaps, I very carefully separate the fronts from the backs and make sure I don’t mix them up. The other thing I’m very careful about is to make sure that the snap parts are perfectly centered in the tool before I squeeze… they are a nightmare to take apart if you mess up… so don’t!
I do one side of the bodice at a time, rather than complete each snap at once. It helps me to not mix the snap parts up.
Here are both sides.
I have the cheapest K1 KAMsnap tool. I wasn’t sure how much I’d use it when I got it. There’s a bunch of tutorials by the manufacturer on how to use it here. Most especially helpful is the video on how to remove a failed snap. That doesn’t always work, so I try to be super careful when I install them.
Below the embroidered scallops on the skirt, I marked a half inch from the edge, and with the Bernina #32 pintuck foot and a 2.0mm double needle, I made 3 rows of tucks, working the the outside one at the half inch mark first then added two more between it and the embroidered scallops.
I trimmed to one inch below the pintucks, and used Bernina hemmer foot #63 to hem the skirt bottom.
Because this design was one color and not as stitch intensive without the wing needle design I stitched previously, in blue and pink, I went ahead and combined the design and embroidered it in my mega hoop, so there was only three hooping instead of six.
A small group of friends, along with Jim and me, are bicycling early this evening. The weather is absolutely gorgeous and I can’t wait to see a few faces! I have a pot of split pea and ham soup simmering on the stove, and a loaf of onion, dill and rye bread cooling on the counter.