I am going to machine embroidery those appliqués down! I made a paper cutout of the die and scanned it at one hundred percent, imported it into my embroidery software, and let the auto digitize wizard do it’s thing. I haven’t the patience (or skill) to attempt it manually.
It took a bit of trial and error and I’m not really sure what I did, but eventually I got an outline instead of a fill, then I duplicated it twice, so I had a guide line, a tack down line, and a decorative line of stitching.
It isn’t perfect, in fact if I use a blanket stitch it’s awful, but with a few tweaks, this candlewick stitch looks pretty good to me, and I like it better anyway. Excuse the fabrics, they were just for testing purposes, and the stitch out you see behind the appliqué, that was a first attempt I screwed up, and just stitched over it.
It won’t all fit into one hooping, so there’s always the chance that I won’t get it lined up perfectly on the quilt, but here’s to a valiant effort, I’m going to try!
I really was dreading the thought of manipulating all that fabric machine appliquéing those little curves, and now I’m tickled pink.
This is probably a skill I should put some effort into learning, but it’s never really interested me.
I’ve printed off a template onto vellum so I can mark the quilt… and hopefully get it right.