I have two different outfits I want to try for my Suffragette dress. The one I’ve begun working on is an easier sew I hope, I’ve just started on it and the sleeves are always the hard part for me if they’ve got gathers.
This one has lovely tucks down the front. It’s a blouse, and goes with a skirt, which I will also sew in white batiste. The delicateness of the batiste is not something I’m used to working with at all, and it’s definitely a learning experience for me, but oh my gosh I love it! I’m not sure I will ever want to use any other fabric for doll clothes.
Because the fabric is so delicate, I knew I couldn’t backstitch the ends of the tucks without it looking horrible, and since I don’t have a garment sewing background with the knowledge that comes with it, I chose (right or wrong) to pull the thread tails to the back and tie them off.
I think that worked out quite nicely!
I’ve more or less settled on my sash. I really like the decorate stitching along the sides, but changed to a different border. This should be my actual sash, but it isn’t finished yet.
I’m still waiting on my gold rattail, and will use one of my earlier test sews to see if I want to add it to the edges or not. I quite like the way this looks now. I know the font may seem large, but I wanted it to stand out… that’s what this is all about after all.
After I embroidered, trimmed, and sewed it with an eighth inch seam, I had the most awful time keeping that seam flat while I pressed it. Even with the help of a pressing bar it was quite difficult.
Miss Myrtle, otherwise known as the divine Miss M, is also sporting her own sash.
I gave in to her incessant whining about the glasses, and purchased her a set of contact lenses which she is wearing most of the time now, but occasionally she puts on her glasses… seeming to prefer them for sewing work as long as I’m the only one looking at her.
Princess syndrome, I think.