I tried a new technique for gathering on the sleeves and sleeve ruffles for the En Fourreau dress.
It’s one row of straight stitching, and one row of zigzag stitching, instead of two rows of straight stitching.
I quite liked this. The points of the zig zag stitching are about 1/16th of an inch from the edge, and the straight stitching just inside the quarter inch seam line. The zig zag along the edge seems much more stable and less prone to fray the edge of the fabric, and it gathered nicely as well.
I used the Bernina #34 clear foot so I could see my work.
I set the zig zag stitch at 2.5mm long by 2mm wide.
And the basting straight stitch at 4mm long.
I can’t tell you how much I smiled knowing my stitch settings were going to be identical, and the machine was going to remember them! Still, I rather missed sewing on my vintage Singer 401!
Miss Myrtle is sulking and refused to come out and sew with me today. Most unfortunate, as I managed to make an exact duplicate sleeve instead of a mirror image, and will have to remake one sleeve.
This would not have happened had Miss Myrtle been supervising!