Scratch the Machine Embroidery!

I finally worked out the multihooping yesterday for my corner appliqués on the lone star wallhanging, hooped my quilt, stitched the placement line, fused down the appliqué, and started sewing the decorative stitch.

Guess what I spent this morning doing? Yep. Frogging.

I used a batik for my test sew out, and I guess there’s just enough difference between the thread count on it (or the tighter weave) that my intended fabric (not batik) shrank a little more when steam fusing the appliqué down.

As you can likely see, the decorative stitching is right on the very edge of the appliqué, but not biting into enough to safely secure it.

That was enough messing around with it for me, so after carefully ripping it out, I’ve proceeded to machine appliqué.

For this task, I adore my Bernina 740 above all other machines. While the machine has 9mm feed dogs, I use a 5.5mm open toe foot, and a 5.5mm stitch plate for appliqué, along with the Bernina yellow bobbin case. It’s a high tension case, and pulls more thread to the backside. I also use it exclusively for machine embroidery, or any decorative stitching.

While I could use my Bernina 430, which is a 5.5mm machine, it doesn’t have a thread cutter, and while I don’t mind that for most sewing, for machine appliqué it’s a real luxury to have. And of course, none of my vintage machines have a blanket stitch. Or a knee lift! I cannot do appliqué without a knee lift.

I am using a longer stitch length and width than I typically do, 2.70 long and 2.75 wide, and Isacord thread versus Bottom Line, because I used a different fusible this time (Steam-a-Seam Light) that I haven’t used before and I don’t know how well it holds up.

I’m not sure why I was dreading doing the appliqué. There’s not that much of it, and I actually quite enjoy the process.

CJ Tinkle

This Post Has 4 Comments

  1. mo pinwil

    I have at last looked up my notes for the applique I did:

    1. I calculated applique I needed and took a photo or drew the shape in Corel Draw.

    2. I took the picture of the applique I made in Corel Draw and used it to manually digitise the place setting

    3. I manually placed the stay stitching.to ensure it covered and kept the applique in place.

    4. I added the fancy stitching so that it just about touched the edge of the applique so that the fancy stitch lay inside the applique.

    5. I am almost sure that I stiffened the applique fabric slightly but that I can’t remember

    I hope this helps for your next project regarding applique. I belong to Berninaland groups and there is a separate section for Bernina Digitizing which I am finding helpful and I have signed up for a 3-day zoom virtual week-end meeting for $39 which I think is a reasonable price. If you are interested in finding out if they have an applique class go take a look.
    https://www.2manylizards.com/

    Terry Whitlash used to be a Bernina Tutor for embroidery and I hear very good reports about her teaching 🙂

    I think your quilt looks amazing you are so clever.

    1. tinksquared

      Thank you so very Maureen for taking the time to write that up. I had thought there was a way, once you had digitized your outline, that you could automatically created an offset stitching line (takedown) for it, but I think you have to use the actual appliqué feature for that, versus doing in manually as you and I both did. I know it’s not a big deal to learn, I’m just not sure I want to.

  2. mo pinwill

    I can understand the reluctance and it would only be useful if you did a lot of appliques. ::)

Your feedback is always welcome! If you have a question, I will respond to it here.