The Divine Miss M has spoken! The Churn Dash quilt is on the longarm and I’ve started quilting it.
It didn’t start out so well. I’d only planned to do a pantograph on this one, and I decided after feedback from my Facebook page to use gray thread. It looked drab, the pantograph did nothing for the quilt, and I spent a couple of hours this morning ripping it out.
Last night, I couldn’t fall asleep, so I grabbed the iQ tablet off of my longarm and started laying out the quilt. I came up with a gorgeous plan! Then sanity prevailed this morning and I opted for the panto… everyone knows how much I hate to do custom.
After I finished ripping out what I’d done, I brewed a cup of coffee and contemplated what it was that was bugging me about this quilt. I decided it was my poor choice of background fabric. All that tone on tone cream just made the whole thing look too stark.
And that’s when it sadly dawned on me that the only way this quilt could be happy was to add a pop of color to the cream background areas, and let the rest of the thread blend in. Which of course, is only doable with custom quilting. Bleh.
So here’s what I’m doing. I went back to the drawing board and redesigned my layout. I am using a raspberry colored thread.
Since it’s hard to get a visual at this stage, here’s how it looks on screen.
I know I will hate myself for this, because I will lose interest long before it’s done. And then it will tie up my longarm from more fun projects, like tote bags! Or maybe even a quilted jacket!
Slap me now.