Yesterday the divine Miss “M” and I tackled the “Sans Pretention” coat to go with the dress that I loved making, such a terrific pattern! I didn’t like my underskirt, and I don’t like the jacket, and that’s partly due to my poor choice in fabric, but I just don’t care for the style.
The dress however, is a keeper with many possibilities!
Here’s the coat and underskirt. Both will go in the trash bin. I messed up the collar on the coat and didn’t bother to fix it as I knew it wasn’t going to be a keeper.
I did however, love making it. It is beautifully constructed!
I would like to work my way through each of Magalie’s patterns because I am learning so much from them. Her approach, from a doll perspective anyway, is pure genius.
I did some more samples for the suffragette sash, and decided to make the scale larger. I’m please with this size and font.
This is still just a test sew out on muslin. My plan was to embroider it on the batiste I’ll be using for the dress, and couch gold rattail to the edges, representing the white, purple and gold colors of the movement, but this morning I’m contemplating embroidering the gold borders instead… I may try that and see what I think.
I also have another outfit in mind, and may make both and then choose. At first I thought the outfit should be in the 1918-1920 time frame, as the clothing styles change drastically from the turn of the century until then, but really, the work was done earlier, and I think a turn of the century gown better represents the suffrage movement. Both gowns I’m considering are from the early 1900’s.