The Pintuck Experiment

I learned so much with my pintuck experiment on this pink fabric. I knew once I added a few more rows of pintucks with decorative stitching inside them, it was going to be way too stiff for a doll skirt, but I kept sewing as I wanted to see the end result, the drape, the distortion, etc.

For the month of June, Bernina will be offering all of the pintuck feet, #30, #31, #32 and #33 on sale at 25% off. The only pintuck foot not included in the sale is the #46C, which I adore, but I have the others as well. I will be taking the green dress, this pink sample, and I will make one more dress with pintucks to my Bernina dealer for shop samples to display during the presser foot sale.

I will come up with something to make with the leftover strip of this eventually… maybe. I now know that if I want to duplicate this for a blouse for myself, I will use a fabric with more drape, and either 60wt or possibly even 80wt cotton thread, if it will sew without breakage.

For this experiment, I used a piece of Moda Bella Solid fabric. The upper thread was Isacord 40wt polyester, and in the bobbin I used Superior Thread Bottom Line.

The pintucks were sewn first, with the Bernina #32 pintuck foot, and a 2.0mm double needle, except for the first pintuck after each gap. For that spacing, I put on the Bernina #46C foot and used it’s built in spacing to make that gap, ensuring that when I went back to do the decorative stitching, the pintucks would be the perfect spacing for the foot to ride over them.

Something I learned purely by accident while sewing some smaller test sample of the entredeaux stitch with a wing needle, was that stitch wants to tunnel badly, even with stabilizer. Speaking of which, I didn’t use any stabilizer while sewing the pintucks, but added a single layer of water soluble Vilene for the decorative stitches. But, that same entredeaux stitch sewn between the pintucks didn’t tunnel, because the presser foot riding on the pintucks kept the fabric from pulling in on itself!

I thought that was pretty darn cool! The entredeaux stitch is in the photo below, sewn with a wing needle.

I also learned that if you add enough texture to the fabric, it eventually begins to distort, so if I do this on a blouse for myself, I will heavily starch the fabric first.

In case you’re curious to see just how stiff all that thread made my fabric, I went ahead and gathered the piece and pinned it on my doll mannequin.

That would make one ugly dress! But it doesn’t matter. I’m thrilled with what I learned, and I’m super pumped about the beautiful definition of the pintucks without having to use any cord in them.

I did order some white batiste, and I am going to try one doll dress with it, but the rest of it is going to handkerchiefs, which I can’t wait to try!

CJ Tinkle

This Post Has 4 Comments

  1. Susan

    How did you find out about the June pintuck foot sale. I just bought 2 last week. 🙁

    1. tinksquared

      My dealer saw my posts in the Bernina Lovers Facebook page, and mentioned it.

  2. Cindy

    Thank you for sharing what you learned.

Your feedback is always welcome! If you have a question, I will respond to it here.