03 Feb

Latest customer quilts


I have not done much quilting lately, but I did finish several customer tops.  These two came off the longarm today, the first is a small table topper made from the scraps of the second quilt.

And here is the larger quilt.  I love Kansas Trouble fabrics!

Actually I’m quite taken with the simplicity of this pattern.  I just might have to make one for myself.  I have so much in the way of scrap fabrics that would be perfect for this.

This one I did several weeks ago.

Isn’t that darling?  I love the way my customer did a double appliqué layer, it looks really cool!

I took a break at lunch time and whipped up a pot of chili, and used my Instant Pot, I love that electric pressure cooker!  I used to think people were silly for buying an electric pressure cooker, I have two really nice Kuhn Rikon cookers, but I rarely use them now, the Instant Pot doesn’t require me to stand and babysit it.

I do believe it is wine thirty!

31 Jan

The world keeps shrinking!


The more I dig, research and yes, stalk living relatives tracking down Jim’s family, the more fascinating this world becomes.  It’s smaller than we think!

Yesterday, Jim and I went to a Dutch Oven cook out with friends.  We met a couple at this group last year and I happened to tag them in a Facebook post yesterday.  A friend of THEIRS, commented on MY Facebook page, wondering if we were related to some Tinkles in Oklahoma City.

Why yes!  We are!  First cousins, once removed.  Now the curious thing is, how does this friend of a friend know Jim’s cousins? What is the connection?  I can’t wait to find out!

I baked a couple batches of rolls early yesterday morning before we headed out, and then Jim and I baked macaroni and cheese with ham at the cook out.  Three blissful pounds of cheese in that pot :)

30 Jan

White Sewing Machine… the KING!

White Sewing

It’s funny the odd things you run across doing research.  Yesterday, Jim and I were blessed with a huge box of genealogy papers from one of Jim’s distant cousins, whom we discovered via DNA testing.  She and I have had so much fun together, comparing notes, and I have learned much from her, as she’s been researching for many years.

One of the items in the box was an obituary dated from 1883, for Jim’s direct line fourth great-grandfather, written by the Masonic Lodge.  I had to share this, as I thought Jim was going to cry while reading it!

Doing a little research for that particular Lodge, I ran across a newspaper article from the Corsicana Observer (Corsicana, Tex) Vol. 33, No. 35, Ed. 1, Friday, June 21, 1889.

About halfway down the page, I came across the following, and had to stop and share this little treasure!  Move over Bernina!White Sewing

And on the same page:

Coats and Clark

47 cents per dozen!!!!!

And the lovely obituary? Transcribed below.  The interesting thing about this, is that according to Y-DNA testing of Jim and two other male Tinkle cousins, one a direct descendent of this John W. Tinkle as is Jim, and the other a direct descendent of one of John W.’s brothers, are a perfect Y-DNA match.  Not possible if John W. was adopted.  And yet, John W.’s mother died just 3 weeks after he did, so it’s not like there wasn’t anyone around who would not know this.  A lovely mystery to solve :)

Resolutions Of Respect And Condolence.

At a regular communication of Cryer Creek Lodge, No. 497 A.F. and A.M., held December 1st, 1883, the following preamble and resolutions were adopted:

Whereas, It has pleased the Great Architect of the Universe to remove from our midst our late brother John W. Tinkle; and

Whereas, It is but just that a fitting recognition of his many virtues should be had; therefore we are called upon to chronicle the death of our worthy brother and esteemed friend, who died at his family residence on Briar Creek, November 30th.

The deceased was the adopted son of John and Sarah Tinkle, and was born in Limestone county, Alabama, in 1831. With his parents, he emigrated to Mississippi in 1837, thence to Arkansas in 1847, and to Texas, in 1850, and lastly to Navarro county about 12 months since.

Ripened in years, and fully prepared for the Master’s call, he has gone to enjoy the fruitions of a life well spent for 52 years, 8 months and 1 day, after an illness of six days.

He leaves a wife, eight children, and may kindred and friends to mourn his untimely death. As a brother Mason, none has ever proven truer. As a member of the Presbyterian Church, be it said to his praise, that his life, religious walk and conversation presented a model worthy of loving admiration.

As a member of society, he was that charitable person who always made and never lost a friend. As a husband and parent, the family can well say, “the great central sun of our household has gone down”; but in the golden summer of another life, it shines more brightly, where mother, children and father will gather again in that endless union of bliss, where partings are unknown.

Resolved, by Cryer Creek Lodge No. 497, that, while we bow with humble submission to the will of the Most High, we do not the less mourn for our brother who has been taken from us.

Resolved, that in the death of John W. Tinkle, this Lodge laments the loss of a brother who was ever ready to proffer the hand of aid and the voice of sympathy to the needy and distressed of the fraternity; an active member of this society, whose utmost endeavors were exerted for its welfare and prosperity; a friend and companion who was dear to all; a citizen whose upright and noble life was a standard of emulation to his fellows.

Resolved, that the heartfelt sympathy of this Lodge be extended to his family in their affliction.

Resolved, that these resolutions be spread upon the records of the Lodge, and a copy thereof be transmitted to the family of our deceased brother, and that the lodge wear the usual badge of mourning for thirty days.

D.H. Williams
Thomas Stokes.